Pages

Friday, April 24, 2009

MY Midwife !

We met her and we LOVE her!
She is sooo cool. I am talking about my midwife!

Levi and I went to her amazing house yesterday, she lives on Lake Tapps. Her house is huge and inside is gorgeous with windows and french doors looking out onto the lake. The weather made it all look perfect, the sun going down and everything over the water. I want to go back right now, I'll wait until my appointment on Tuesday.

Wednesday night I was reading over the packet she sent me, which had pictures, messages from Nancy and Letters from her clients (about their experiences). I read all of them and it was really uplifting and inspiring. From the women who I've talked to and read about they have their babies really quick and they go home 2 hours later. After reading the packet I knew I was going to love her. I was more worried that I wouldn't like her and I would have been really sad.

As we were sitting in the waiting area to go in, people were coming in with their cute babies and getting checked by Nancy (midwife). Seeing those babies made me want Lydia so bad. We want her NOW! While we were waiting a couple were heading out the door and asked us if were new. She says, "Everything you've heard about her is true, she is amazing." I'm so overwhelmed with this huge decision, hearing this just about makes me cry. I haven't heard ONE bad thing about her. She seriously must be an angel. The couple continue to say they had their baby 2 days earlier and everything went perfect, it was such a peaceful experience. She feels so great and has been walking around, not sore at all or anything. Hearing all that made me feel good. Finally it was our turn and we go into her office and she says she is going to check on someone. She comes back and tells us her client is ready to have her baby and if we could come back in one hour. We didn't even know someone was there! I was a little skeptical about coming back in an hour, thinking it wasn't enough time to deliver a baby, but we live only 15 min away so no big deal.

We head back to the beautiful house, walk in and she says "Come on in, we just had a baby girl 40 minutes ago, it was her first baby and she did SO well." I'm thinking we left only 60 minutes ago! What? How ? Why was I skeptical of this women? We sit down, start talking and I ask her a bunch of questions. Every answer was everything I needed and wanted to hear. She has everything under control and she couldn't even tell us when there was an emergency and an ambulance had to take a client to the hospital. She said the last time she had to sew someone up was 5 years ago. She does a pretty good job w/preventing tearage. I like that. I had asked her a question about drugs and she explained to us that there is something to take away from the whole birthing process. Levi loved her analogy about climing Mt. Rainier, she said to make it to the top you need to be in good physical condition to keep you going and when you get tired you still want to keep going. You don't want a helicopter to take you to the top, after all your training you want to get there yourself and when you get there it's all worth it. I understand some people have complications and aren't able to perform a natural birth, fortunatly I can. She was saying that when she first started midwifery the ceserean birth was 4% of pregnancies, now its 40%. She said "Why is that? What makes my uterus so different than others?" It was funny and she went on explaining how she makes sure she takes care of any potential risks as early as possible so she doesn't have to transfer care. She doesn't wait to see if a baby moves on it's own if it's breach, she sends you somewhere to turn the baby and problem solved. She does everything and anything she can to prevent complications that most Dr's don't take the time to help solve.

I know I can have Lydia naturally and I will, there won't be any problems and it will be an amazing experience. She got me excited to be in labor and I am completely at peace with doing it natural. I was nervous and scared before I met her but I knew I wanted her to be my midwife and if that meant going natural it was worth it to me. She has delivered over 4,000 babies, she has the longest running and busiest practice in the state. Her background is astounding, so impressive, she has written books for Dr's and midwifes which are used to date around the state. She really knows what she is doing and you can tell and that is so comforting. She loves her job and I love meeting people who are passionate like that, especially when it's ME involved.

I had an appointment to go to another midwife Clinic on Monday but forget it, they won't even let me choose my midwife or do a meet and greet. They choose your midwife for you....ugh thanks? I didn't even want to waste my time so I just decided to go with Nancy and I will not have any regrets, I am very confident in her and I know it's the right decision.

So now all I have to do is wait to go into labor! Which is many weeks away. She will break my water if I don't but we will see what happens. I am excited, I know it will be painful but nothing I can't live through. It will be an experience and I am ready for it. I am so happy with this decision! Yay!


11 comments:

Emily Marie said...

Congradulations! Reading about your awesome midwife makes me jealous and wish I had one! My doctor's ok, but just ok. Anyway, I'm glad she's so wonderful for you!

Stopher and Nicolle said...

hey...how does insurance work with midwifes? just wondering... in case i ever need my own!

Stopher and Nicolle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Stephanie Vogel said...

It works the same as finding a regular OB. As long as your insurance covers the Midwife

Er Bear said...

Congrats Steph! I am excited for you!! Good luck lady:)

The Tafuna Family said...

oh steph i'm so glad you like her and you feel good about it. That's so important. Yey for you!!!!

Noelle said...

That sounds so wonderful!!! I have been looking into getting a midwife (FAR in the future, don't worry) and I definitely want to hear everything about your experience! I don't know why people think it's so weird, I sure don't - and from reading your post, she sounds amazing! Good luck!

Rachel {RandR Workshop} said...

Hey Steph!
Wow sounds like you have got everything figured out. I just wanted to say though... try not think that it will all be fine and dandy and if something does go wrong..you are not disappointed. I know that from first hand experience and all you really need is an open mind. If you HAD to go to the hospital because of something.. you wouldn't want to be upset.
Another thing, be careful if Lydia is breach and the doctor sends you to have her turned. Most of the time, that is the way the baby wants to be and they often move on their own. I just didn't like the idea of someone trying to fix it.. i have heard some bad stories. Just go with what you feel right and it will all be ok.

Rachel {RandR Workshop} said...

Ps.. check out my blog. I found a cute idea for bows!!

Stephanie Vogel said...

I had another appointment and she is still head down, my midwife is sure she isn't going anywhere. If I had to go to the hospital I wouldn't be upset it would be necessary because that would mean it would be an emergency. Everything is going perfectly so far I'm extremely blessed.

Tara said...

Stephanie! I had no idea you were doing natural birth. You are amazing! You're almost there too! I can't waaaaittt! I hope I get to see her someday. She will be so beautiful. I love you dear!