Pages

Monday, April 13, 2009

Aloha 'Oe, until we meet again...

Here are some pictures since this post is forever long!




Little Paxton is such a stud, I love him! I can't wait to visit the Blacks in California, our babies will play together!



Isn't he darling! I loved holding him, I'm glad I got some newborn experience. i don't have much experience so I know I'm in for it. It was so fun holding him, he is such a good baby. Michelle is a natural at being a momma, she makes it look so easy!
This is the 1st and probably only time I will catch Levi in a Hawaiian shirt! It's not even his it's his friends, haha. Levi went golfing this morning at Turtle Bay, thanks to his good friend Nick Smith. Yes I rolled out of bed at 6:00 to take this picture, Lydia for the first time made it a little difficult to sleep last night. Levi had a ton of fun, he said he definitely wants to golf more often, not every 3 years.

WOW

It didn't really hit me until this morning that we were leaving in less then 24 hours. It hit me as I was on campus and I saw a couple with all there luggage waiting for a carpool to leave. The sun was out, a slight breeze it was so beautiful today. Dang were leaving right as the weather is starting to get amazing, that is definitely depressing! I do have to admit I did shed a few tears and as I did I was thinking 'but I am SO happy to go home and share this baby with my family and learn and grow through other experiences in Washington'. It's so important and were so happy that we can get home in time for lydias birth, such a blessing. Another thing that makes me sad is leaving the ward, even though we don't know a lot of people, we really have an amazing ward. Levi and I taught our last gospel doctrine lesson on Sunday and it really wrapped everything up for me perfectly in the way I view our experience here. I can't count how many times I've run to the Beazers, Nakajimas and recently the Boyce's house to borrow foil, eggs or who knows what and they so kindly let me borrow stuff. Everyone who lives by us is in our ward and it so tight knit, we are all here for eachother whenever needed. We will miss our loyal home teachers and I will totally miss my visiting teachers! I know home/visiting teaching will never be the same as here so that is really sad. Our ward is pretty awesome about that responsibility. TVA can be loud and at times not so peaceful when your wanting a nap BUT...it will be missed to some extent! It will be nice to have a soundproof daylight basement to live in for a while, we are really looking forward to it and making it our home.


We have learned and grown so much spiritually and intellectually. I have to admit I am kinda sad that I have a huge gap between now and next year to start school again. I just might do some online classes so I can finish my associates quicker. When we first arrived here, January 2008 is so fresh in my mind, time has flown by. I am so grateful Levi and I were able to spend our first year and a half of marriage here, I think it's the best thing we could have done. Being away from family and depending on each other for constant support has made us such a strong and happy couple. Eternity is a long time....my in laws always say that jokingly when Levi does something goofy but it's true! Eternity is definitely a long time and I am so happy I have eternity with Levi. We've had the time of our life out here and we are looking forward to Washington but we will always remember our time here in little Laie, Hawaii. We can't wait to come back and see the temple all new and renovated. It looks like a castle right now, all grey and empty looking. We WILL be coming back and I CAN'T wait to see how beautiful it will be, I know it will be stunning.

The wards around here sing "Aloha 'Oe" each semester for the students who go home and I kid you not I cried EVERY single time, except when it was sung to us. The song is beautiful and even though it's all in Hawaiian and I can't pronounce any of the words. When the chorus starts I can't even finish its so powerful and full of love I'd just start crying and then I cant see the words and then Levi is laughing at me and then I am laughing and crying and it's all just an experience. This last time I swear Levi stared at me the whole time seeing if I'd cry and I didn't! I almost did, my eyes were watery and my face started to twitch a little but...no tears fell. It's different when your the one leaving. After Winter semester my visiting teacher Crystal left and visiting teaching partner Yuko left I was such a mess I was so sad they were leaving. I cried a lot when they left, like the ugly kind of crying...I totally didn't sing the song at all. I'm sure Crystal remembers haha...embarrassing!!! Yuko is Japanese and she was so sweet. She baked many delicious treats. We visited other 2 Japanese women in our ward and I did my lessons in English and Yuko spoke in Japanese so I didn't understand much but I could feel her spirit and she was so nice, I miss her! It's been cool being around all the different cultures.

Here is the song in Hawaiian, JUST TRY and say all that...so hard to remember unless your part hawaiin it's impossible!

Ha`aheo ka ua i nâ pali
Ke nihi a`ela i ka nahele
E hahai (uhai) ana paha i ka liko
Pua `âhihi lehua o uka

Hui:
Aloha `oe, aloha `oe
E ke onaona noho i ka lipo
One fond embrace,
A ho`i a`e au
Until we meet again

`O ka hali`a aloha i hiki mai
Ke hone a`e nei i
Ku`u manawa
`O `oe nô ka`u ipo aloha
A loko e hana nei

Maopopo ku`u `ike i ka nani
Nâ pua rose o Maunawili
I laila hia`ia nâ manu
Miki`ala i ka nani o ka lipo

this is what it means........

Proudly swept the rain by the cliffs
As it glided through the trees
Still following ever the bud
The `ahihi lehua of the vale

Chorus:
Farewell to you, farewell to you
The charming one who dwells in the shaded bowers
One fond embrace,
'Ere I depart
Until we meet again

Sweet memories come back to me
Bringing fresh remembrances
Of the past
Dearest one, yes, you are mine own
From you, true love shall never depart

I have seen and watched your loveliness
The sweet rose of Maunawili
And 'tis there the birds of love dwell
And sip the honey from your lips
It's a cool tradition. Very unique. O boy now Levi and I need to finish wrapping stuff up around our house, like give away the rest of our stuff away and food! We get to play santa claus tonight, kinda.

5 comments:

Er Bear said...

Thank you Santa! You two will be missed! We are so sad that we didn't hang out more in the earlier months... we will make up for it with a joint Hawaii vacation right?! Maybe in 10 years with all of our chillins:) Love you guys!

Michelle & Todd said...

We will miss you guys but will probably see you soon enough! I can't wait until Lydia is born.

Stopher and Nicolle said...

aw, sweet post!! i hope it's nice being home! we miss you. today was so sad having everyone leave. i'm actually kinda glad i don't live here. it would be really hard to watch people leave all the time!

Crystal & Brandon said...

stephanie- that is so funny because everytime i had to sing that song i would cry and cry and i dreaded the day when it was going to be sung to me and i didnt even cry. it was so weird. anyways that was a tender post... i loved it and i love you! im glad you are back with your family!

daegan said...

nice shirt levi!!! hee hee! This is charlie by the way...