Pages

Monday, April 6, 2009

Big Decision.

I go home in a week. I have 1-2 weeks to figure out who my doctor is going to be. I still haven't met them but I know it will be between two midwifes.

I'm leaning towards a Dr. who doesn't give epidurals. I know, many of you may think I'm nuts but she sounds really great. I will know if she's the doctor for me when I meet her. She has delivered over 4000 in 4 decades. I love the experience she has had. I've heard she makes you feel very confident that you can have a baby natural. I love the fact that I know no matter what she will be at my delivery, unlike some Dr.s who go on vacation or area out of town and leave delivery up to some other doctor. She has deliver babies in emergency situations when patients doctors didn't know what to do. She will be with me the whole time, no nurses just her. I would deliver here and the jacuzzi looks amazing, if I go with her I will be in it the majority of the time. The center is literally on lake tapps, which I'm sure I will walk and walk with my contractions. After I have Lydia I rest for a few hours and go home... I don't have to stay and rack up medical bills like a hospital. It just seems so much more calm and I love the idea of no nurses running around stressing me out or not listening to me. My mom believes I can do it, which says a lot since she said no way in hell would she be in a delivery room with my sister without her being drugged up...my sister cannot handle pain. I'm not really choosing this midwife to do the whole non drug thing I feel like I really could do it naturally, Levi sure does. Of course I'm sure he isn't the only husband who says "Women have been having babies for centuries, you don't need drugs." Classic huh? Yeah well I still have a decison to make and I'm going to stay possitive even though this pain or no pain is ALL I've been thinking about. I'm young and healthy and have had no complications whatsoever so the chances of anything scary happening are low, but I will go straight to the hospital if there is a possibility of risk. I don't even care if this midwife brainwashes me into thinking I can do it, I'm fine with that because I'll need brainwashing. I'll let you know if she succeeds!

My other decision is go with a midwife who delivers at a hospital, I don't know anything about the midwife except her school/experience info. Of course this is the easy decision because if I have the option for drugs I can have them. I know if I have the option then I will use them. I just don't feel so great about it for some reason.

I hope I know what I should do. Don't call me crazy for choosing the 1st midwife! I'm not crazy! If you have nothing supportive to say then please don't say anything at all...I really want to have the 1st doctor. I'll either chicken out by the no drug thing or I won't feel comfortable with her. We will know in about 1 1/2 weeks. We will seeee :)

7 comments:

The Tafuna Family said...

tough decision.I wanted to do mine drug free, and i did for the first 16+ hours, but then i was advised to have an epidural because if i didnt, i would run out of energy when it came time to push and would have to have a c-section. so i had one for a few hours, slept, then had it turned off so i could push. and let me tell you, its magical!!! yes, women have been doing it for centuries without drugs, but women have also been dying in childbirth for centuries.... so you gotta weigh it all up. or you could always pray about it.... :). that birthing center looks AMAZING though!!
But dont be too rushed to go home, its nice having nurses 24/7 to ask questions about all the silly little things and have them helping you out while you're recovering..
ok i realise that this has turned into a novel....sorry!!!
but good luck.

shira said...

happy belated birthday! all those cakes looked delicious! can you tell i'm pregnant, haha. the advice i have gotten is that if you don't want to get drugs/epidural, don't be where there is access to them or you will take them for sure.

Emily Marie said...

Really, it's totally up to you, cuz it's your body, and you'll know best what you're comfortable with. I had Lily at a hospital, and before I got there I thought I would do it drug free. But after just a couple hours of intense contractions, I really wanted that epidural, so I got it. I probably would have survived without it (ok, yeah, I would have, even though it didn't seem like it!) but it made the experience better for me. But then my doctor didn't deliver, so that was a bummer. Like you said, there are good and not-so-good aspects to either way you go with.
Conincedentally, I'm with the same doctor this time, even though I wish I had gone with a midwife group. I'm going to look into different options the next time around.
Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I'm glad you got to celebrate so much!

DAVID & ELISSA said...

I think you should go with whatever you feel most comfortable with. My mom had 6 kids all natural. I was breach and she still had me with 0 drugs and with out a c-section. She said having a child is so amazing that as soon as you see your baby you don't even care about the pain you went through. The first Doctor sounds amazing! Good luck!! whatever you choose will be a good choice.
(happy belated birthday!!)

Er Bear said...

Tonight was fun. Make sure to send me those cute pics!! I know that as soon as you meet your mid wife, you will know what to do. Don't stress about it. Just pray about it and follow your heart:) That medical center looks so cozy!

SABigler said...

you can do it!!!!! i delivered my baby without drugs and i'm so happy i did. it hurts like crazy, but just believe in yourself and you will be fine. i can't wait to see pictures of your little girl, take lots because she'll grow fast!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

It's awesome you are doing a midwife, I had Madds with one at a birthing center-- its not a hospital, and Cory would not let me have Madds at home. I was in labor for 27 hours and never used any drugs-- my midwife knew I wanted an all natural birth. The mix of absolute pain and the joy you feel when the baby arrives, an epidural would take that all away. Just my opinion though. Good luck deciding!