Pages

Monday, May 3, 2010

Half Marathon

In January I decided I wanted to run a half marathon and I wasn't sure if I'd make it at first but I decided to start training to see how training would go. I really enjoyed it and it wasn't too hard.
The human body is amazing. I am so incredibly grateful for a healthy body. As I was running yesterday at one point I became overwhelmed with gratitude that heavenly father has blessed us with bodies that have potential to do amazing things. Thinking about this of course reminds me to always take care of my body and I can achieve any results if I work hard at whatever it may be.



Saturday night I ate pasta for dinner to load up on carbs and then before bed I got all my stuff together and I started getting a little nervous. The last couple weeks of the training you taper your running and when the 1/2 marathon comes you haven't run a long run for 2 weeks or so. I know I didn't have to worry but still I was afraid I'd have a hard time. Sunday morning we left at about 6:50 and Levi dropped me off in Tacoma at about 7:20 and I was at the starting line at 7:40ish. Hundreds of people were there and music was blasting. I had a banana, a little water and then at 8 am the race started!!

The course went right by Stadium high school, this is the school that was filmed on 10 Things I Hate About You. Those are the steps Heath Ledger sang and danced on to "Can't take my eyes off of you." I had never seen by this school and it is sooo cool. I want to go back sometime and check it out.

Levi met me down by the water at 9 miles, along Ruston way, I waved to him and Lydia and kept going. At about the 11th mile it was uphill...I didn't think it'd be that bad but it was pretty steep. Then the last mile was downhill.
In a newsletter I get from fleet feet I liked this quote writer John Hanc summarized the attraction to marathoning in this simple statement: "I've learned that finishing a marathon isn't just an athletic achievement. It's a state of mind; a state of mind that says anything is possible." I absolutely agree. I think anyone can run a half marathon (minus those with serious health issues) it's all about a state of mind. There were people of all ages out there. I'm not saying it's easy and at times you will get tired but those endorphins are addicting, I'm just sayin'!! :) If anyone wants the training let me know and I'll email it to you! I know I sound crazy saying it but the training is not that bad. After the training the whole race was a piece of cake. I was amazed how easy it was for me. It was so cool, I will be doing it again!





What a goofy but cute face! ooo she is soooo adorable!!

I love this picture of Grandpa and Lydi

Next time my mom is going to do it with me, right mom!?

BIG Thanks to Denise, Levi and Haley who helped me get out of the house and train many hours a week!! Love you guys!

5 comments:

Ang and Shawn said...

Good Job!!! You definitely do not look like you just ran 13 miles... I look like crap after running! Maybe one day I will get adventerous and do a half. I have knee problems...BUT. I did run 7 miles yesterday!

For now I will just watch you run them (:

Emily Marie said...

Wow, i'm really impressed! Great job!! I think you're gonna be my inspiration to get back in shape, I need a kick in my pants to lose the last little bit of my baby weight!

You're awesome!

Stephanie Vogel said...

Thank you, 7 miles, that's awesome! Your more
than halfway! Yeah my knees were beat up after this race but now they are better.

Sherwoods said...

Congrats. I would love to do one. I'll have to look into it. Way to go!

Alysha said...

Stephanie! GOOD JOB! You look so great and this was so inspiring. I really would like it if you sent me the training so I could check it out. I never thought I was much of a runner but I would really like an accomplishment like this and to feel so good about what my body just did.
I love that picture of you kissing lydia. SO Precious.
here is my email
alysha546@yahoo.com
You are so awesome!!!